A. A candidate for municipal office is nominated by executing a declaration of candidacy under oath and a properly and fully completed public financial disclosure statement that complies with the requirements of state law.
B. A declaration of candidacy shall be in a form provided by the borough clerk and shall state the following:
1. The full name of the candidate, and the manner in which they wish their name to appear on the ballot;
2. The full residence and mailing addresses of the candidate;
3. The office for which the candidate declares;
4. That the candidate is qualified for the office as provided by law;
5. The date and notarized statement of the candidate;
6. The candidate shall certify information contained in the declaration of candidacy is true and accurate;
7. Any other information that the borough clerk reasonably requires to determine whether the candidate is qualified for the office as provided by law.
C. Declarations of candidacy shall be provided by the borough clerk.
D. Filing for elective offices of mayor, assembly, school board, or Interior Alaska Natural Gas Utility Board (IGU) shall be made by filing a declaration of candidacy with the borough clerk from July 15th through July 29th, 5:00 p.m. Should July 29th be a Saturday or Sunday, candidates shall have until 5:00 p.m. on the first Monday following to file their declaration. A candidate shall pay a $25.00 nonrefundable filing fee to have the declaration of candidacy filed.
E. Declarations of candidacy may be filed with the borough clerk by electronic transmission. If filed electronically, the forms must be electronically received by 5:00 p.m. on July 29th and the original signed and notarized statement, a properly and fully completed public financial disclosure statement that complies with the requirements of state law, and filing fee must be postmarked on or before July 29th and received or hand delivered to the borough clerk by the Tuesday following the filing period deadline. If the original is not postmarked and received by or hand delivered to the borough clerk on the Tuesday following the filing period, the candidate’s name shall not appear on the ballot.
F. Persons filing for elective office as a write-in candidate shall file a declaration of candidacy under this section. Write-in candidates may file only after the official filing period has closed and not later than 5:00 p.m. on the day immediately preceding the election. (Ord. 2019-09 § 2, 2019; Ord. 2018-08 § 2, 2018; Ord. 2016-06 § 2, 2016; Ord. 2015-57 § 2, 2015; Ord. 2014-30 § 5, 2014; Ord. 2004-45 § 2, 2004. 2004 Code § 2.12.190.)